Disclaimer: As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases on this page.
Basketball is a very demanding sport. It requires peak athleticism. The built of basketball players is one of the best throughout all sports. With regards to their artillery jumping high and effectively surely adds well. A high vertical leap especially for point guards is a plus point, For power forwards and centers an effective jump is a necessity if they are to excel at their game. For a guard, jumping well and above average will make their game more versatile and also give them an edge when it comes to one on one duels.
Shot blocking and general blocks require a precisely timed jump that can only be achieved with a combination of genetics and training. Both of these combined with a great diet plan will be worthwhile for the player. This article will help as I will try to cover all the bases regarding how to jump high in a basketball game. Without further ado, let us begin.
Following are some of the few tips and tricks that are crucial if you are to succeed in jumping high and timely:
- Agility and Strength: Both of these are of paramount importance when it comes to jumping high. The player needs to give utmost attention to both the departments. Better agility will enable the player to be explosive while taking off for flight. The movement in the muscles will be extensive and it will complement the flight. Subsequently, Strength is also required that gives the necessary force which pushes the body against gravity enabling a smooth and powerful jump.
- Stretching: As we have already discussed the importance of an agile body. Agility comes from stretching. It is a very important aspect of an athlete’s training as stretching not only extends the muscles but also provides the essential flexibility to the muscles. It also helps to relax the muscles after a stiff workout or a match. Consider stretching as something that will only make you better in your next jump.
- Necessary Exercises: Many exercises can be done to increase the vertical leap here I will discuss some of the important ones:
- Traditional Dead Lifts: One of the most common and important strength-building exercises. It will greatly help you in developing strength. This exercise will target the athletes’ core and chest area enhancing and developing muscles that are required for a powerful vertical leap.
- Full Squats: This barbell exercise is overall good for the body. Additionally, it will develop strength and power especially in the core and the hip region.
- Overhead Walking Lunges: This exercise will put great pressure on the core and the leg of the athlete. It will greatly develop the core muscles. Easy and convenient to perform as well.
All of the above-mentioned exercises are Strength oriented. Let us now go through some of the dynamic exercises below:
- Single Leg Box Jump: Very effective non-weight training exercise. It builds a particular momentum and also adds effectiveness and efficiency. It is not an easy exercise to do and will require lots of body balance. But it will give optimal output and greatly enhance your vertical leap.
- Sprints: Sprints are generally more suited to the track athletes but as they add agility and explosiveness to the athlete’s artillery. The player must go through some sort of designed sprint circuits.
- Seated Box Jumps One of the toughest exercises to do on this list. But it is very effective. Make sure that your knees are at 90 degrees and that your hip and posture are clean. As you effectively improve your jump you can add more boxes into the mix.
- Diet: Make sure that you have a good diet plan to go with all the intense training that you will be doing. Your diet must have the necessary proteins, carbs, and fats, etc. A perfect diet will enable you to perform your jumps more effectively. It will further give you more confidence. A good diet will give you nutrients for both dynamic and strength training. You can look for diet plans online or hire a dietitian.
- Mental Strength: While performing your training and trying to jump high. Significantly, you convince yourself and your body that you can do it. Only then the mind will direct the body in the right direction to perform exceptionally well. Control of mind will provide you an extra edge.
- Genetics: With your intense training and practicing routine. You will sooner or later realize that you are getting way better at accomplishing this task of jumping high. One major reason for this can be good genes too. But good genetics alone will not do the job hard work and training have to play and equally important job.
In addition to all of the above-mentioned tips and tricks, I would like to explain a little about the two different types of vertical leaps below:
- One-foot leap: It requires more explosiveness and agility as compared to sheer core strength and power. It is mostly performed while Doing a fancy dunk. One of the most famous illustrations was the fancy dunk by Michael Jordan, in the All-star dunk contest. It is also useful for running blocks.
- Two-feet leap: Essentially based on sheer core strength and power. This type of dunk is useful while performing standing blocks. It is also used for generating perfect jump shots. One major example of a two feet leap dunk was by derrick rose in his MVP winning season.
Whatever sports may be, there is no denying that effective jumping requires extensive training and good nutrition. It cannot be achieved overnight. A lot of hard work and commitment is required to perform a well-maneuvered jump. You will gradually start to feel the differences in your progress. There will be guaranteed improvements. your jumping technique will start to look more professional, you will adapt to the technique flawlessly. Just make sure that you follow the tips and tricks. And replicate them daily. If you have any queries regarding this article. I’m here to assist you.